Thursday 8 September 2011

Not Unique


Everyone who knows me knows that this is me, Kolo Martin.  I don't know about you but I have never seen a boy who looks like me before and neither have my people. So imagine our amazement when we were walking through another town on our island last Friday and saw this.




I knew I wasn't really the only baboon like me around, they must have made more, but I did think I was probably the only one on our island. 

My person was quite emotional when she saw him, it was quite a shock.  My people were not looking for another baboon and neither was I but we did feel that we needed to find out whether he needed a home, we couldn't leave him there if he did but we tried not to get our hopes up.

The shop was closed and we rang the number in the window for several days.  Today finally the shop was open and we spoke to the lady who owns it.  She told us that he has a responsible job in the shop and she needs him there.  We were a little disappointed but we did understand.  We asked her if she would let us know if she changed her mind and she said that another lady was interested in him too but if she no longer wanted him she would let us know as she would be clearing out the shop in the next 18 months.  She did tell us he was very popular and lots of people wanted to buy him but she had said no to all of them.

Well we had to accept that and you know our friend Henry (@Henryandfriends from Twitter) would say it will happen if it is meant to be.  We will wave to him and say hello when we pass the shop and when the day comes that they close down we might be lucky but if not we will know that he will go to a home where he is really wanted, so although we are a bit sad we are happy for him he has a job he likes now and when he finishes he will go to a loving home like mine.

I learnt a few things too.  I learnt that I'm not the only baboon on the island, that feels a little but funny but also quite nice in a way and also that not all baboons are the same even if they look similar.  This baboon has responsibilities whereas I live in a place where everything is done for me and I am cuddled a lot.  I hope this baboon also gets cuddles when he gets to his new home, he looks as though he has not been handled much yet.  I learnt that sometimes you can't get what you want and you have to wait and still maybe not get it.  I also learned that my people love me so much that they were willing to go to lots of trouble to find out whether a boy like me needed help.

We are sad and a little disappointed but we understand and know that this baboon will also have a loving home one day even if it is not with us in the meantime he has a job he likes.  I am happy that we did go to some trouble to find out about him and if we ever saw another boy like me we would do the same thing again to make sure he was OK.

11 comments:

  1. That iz amayzing that you haz a twin on your island kolo. How nice you called an fownd owt abowt he. I do wish he cud come play wiv you an liv wiv you furever but I spoze if he bizy werking it mite be diffikult to get away. *pawhug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I bet that was startling! It's noble you went to all the effort to see if he needed a good home. I will say I have to disagree a bit with your post title, though--there could be a zillion baboons that look like you, but there is only one Kolo Martin! You ARE unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor boy. I really hope that he can come and live with you.
    Dragon wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. it beary nise too see yur lost cuzzin nd fynd him in gud employmunt nd i doo doo howp wun dey wen hee reetyres then him can cum too live wif yew nd lern all abowt arsenal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think He's your clone or secret twin or Kolo's double. I'm glad that I know him. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear - dat poor babboon. But at least lots of people are willing to give him a home when he's no longer working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a small world Kolo! To us you're still the original & best ;) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. *rubs eyes* goodness me...he look like yore bruvver dear Kolo. Mebbe he has to be like the Toure brothers for a bit and be playin for diffrunt teams until they can be reunited....he he. Oh, BTW, the typist is goin to the Emmyrates on 2nd November to see the Gooners play in the Champs Leeg. I will get him to take some fotos..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bother....I did forget to sing..."there's only one Kolo Martin, ONE Kolo Maaartin, there's only one Kolo Martin...." (repeat)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very sweet story, Kolo! I hope that when his job is over he gets to live with you. grrlysquirrel75

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dear friend, Kolo, you are MUCH different from this other baboon. While you might be cousins or somehow related, you have very noticeable differences -- the smile on your face, the caring in your eyes, and the love in your heart -- that are unmistakably *Y*O*U*! =;-)

    Huge hugzzzzzzzzzzzzz to all of you at your home.

    ReplyDelete

FOUNDING MEMBER